Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Holey Heels?


If you have checked out my baby socks pattern, I talk about the way I did the heels. Many had questions, so I did it on a larger loom and took pictures. Hopefully this will help explain...

For other looms:

Before starting, count the number of pegs on your round loom.

Half that number is ________

And 1/3 of the above number is ______

Using a larger gauge loom and a single strand of yarn so that you may see the stitches, this is how it looks…













I’ve already done the decreases across the heel. After you have completed those stitches, you will start to increase across the same stitches. Look at the stitches on either side of those 4 stitches. You can see that it isn’t as tight between those stitches and that is where the holes develop.





What I did was to pick up a stitch on either side of the last “bunch” of stitches that I knit off, so since I would be knitting on 6 for the next batch, I picked up a stitch on either side of those four.








Notice that I am not picking up the stitch directly below that, but the one right below that. It’s marked with a piece of yarn. After you have pulled those stitches up, you will have two stitches on those pegs. After you have done that, you will e-wrap the peg that you took the loop from all the way to the other peg that you took a loop from (so you will e-wrap 6 stitches) and knit off. E-wrap again and work back.

When you finally have worked your way back to the beginning peg, you will still need to pull a loop from the one before and the one after because the first stitch and the last stitch increased that space between stitches. Instead of wrapping back and forth, now you can wrap all the way around like you did your beginning rounds. As you work enough rows, you will see your heel coming through the bottom. Because this was done on a large gauge loom with 1 strand, I didn’t bother continuing because it would not make a very nice sock/slipper. Have fun. I’ve got all sorts of ideas for how to make them interesting…

I hope this helps.

Gail in MN

bgvall@gmail.com

This pattern is available for you to use for your personal use. Please do not sell it or add it to a booklet for sale unless permission is given. Thanks.
























1 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Sorka said...

Gail! You have a blog~
Thank you for the holeless sock technique I hope I did it justice in the booklet! I need to get you a copy whenever I get my hands on one!
Denise
knitchat.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home